Friday, October 12, 2012

Even Idiots Deserve To Have Freedom


 
 
I participated in a human wall of humanity today, most all with American flags, to honor a local soldier killed in Afghanistan.
 

 It was anticipated Westboro Baptist Church would be there with their bullshit rhetoric about how he deserved to die. I understand from some folks they did in fact show up. That is not why I went. I went because it was an opportunity to show the family the community support for their loved one and the ultimate sacrifice he made.

The Westboro Baptist Church folks didn’t concern me in the least because of the numbers of people there, the Patriot Guards who I was standing beside and our Wilmington Police Department who were amazing.

The people who I think were worse than the WBC people were our own residents who were allowed to drive on Market Street by the National Cemetery before it was closed to traffic. One jerk in his black Escalade had his window down and his very loud, booming music disturbing the peacefulness and reverence we were all experiencing. Bagpipes were playing in the distance at the cemetery and this asshole shows that kind of disrespect. He wasn’t the only one. Three young women come by with windows down, music playing, smiling and doing a fake beauty queen wave to all of us standing silent with flags. Those four people showed so much more disrespect than WBC.

It was an honor to be standing there today and I am very sorry for those four. They will never be able to experience anything like I did today because of their stupidity. How sad.  I suppose our soldiers even have to die for the idiots in our midst.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you have a comment or helpful advice.