Monday, April 16, 2012

LIVING SINGLE

I have lived alone 3 times in my life. Just after college, after divorce and now widowed. I don’t like the reason I am living single but I can say that time has adjusted my brain and I now remember how much I like it.

I saw some information today that said 50% of US residents are single. That doesn’t mean they aren’t living with someone but the telling number was that 1/3 of US households had only one resident.

Why are more people choosing to live alone? It is just easier in many ways. I can’t fathom the idea of living with someone else at this point in my life. I am liking the independence far too much.

I can sleep in the middle of the bed.
I can eat when I want and what I want.
I can watch what I want on TV without having to go to another room.
I don’t close bathroom doors.
The only mess in the house is mine.


There are other advantages but if you are living single you know them already.
I have a female friend who has been in a "relationship" for 8 years. He shows up once a week and it is pretty much for dinner and sex. They will do social engagements with each other if needed but other than that they live seperate lives. She wants it that way because of liking living alone.

Does living single mean aloneness? No is the answer in my case. I am blessed with a network of friends who I stay in pretty close contact with and have a pretty busy social life. Then there is Facebook.....
Who can feel alone with Facebook in our lives?
You can connect and communicate with so many people on very different levels. You can see how pathetic some of your friends lives are (you know those whoa is me people) and really feel better about yours while you are sitting in your pj’s, hair in a ponytail (or in a male friends case with his headband on to keep his hair back but don’t tell him you know), no makeup, etc. You can look at other friends whose posts would make you think they have an ideal and exciting life when you know it isn’t so. With communication technology there is no reason to feel alone or lonely. Well, I guess if you are just a real loser and don’t even have Facebook “friends” then you are destined to be lonely and alone, really alone.

A big downside is groceries. Too many jars and bottles in my refrigerator get thrown out because they are beyond their expiration date. Food packages should be made smaller to fill the need of those 1/3 of US households that are just one resident. Ever thought about offering a half loaf of bread?

My periods of time living alone are adding up and maybe the longer this one goes the more I am going to like it and will probably always do so. Except when I am really old and my dearest friend and I are going to move in together and have wild, crazy parties with young men.
What do you think about living alone? Advantages? Couldn't do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you have a comment or helpful advice.